Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Weather Past and Present

 Weather conditions have changed drastically since I was a boy growing up in Mississippi years ago. We are seeing many more tornados and hurricanes today compared to what my brother and I used to call the good old days. The good old days are for another post. With tornadoes and hurricanes come heavy rains, wind, and flooding. It seems we have four or five days of great weather then all hell breaks loose for a couple of days with tornadoes in fact, as I type this post we may be under a tornado watch tomorrow. We are in this cycle through all of Spring. 

The Sipsey Tailrace pictured here is an example of the last tornado we had here a week ago. This tornado produced some damage to homes and businesses but thankfully no deaths. After the aftermath, the areas affected must deal with the clean-up in the form of flooding and the debris left behind. The image above shows the tailrace flowing downstream at 8 ft. above normal flow. When heavy rains occur Smith Lake above the dam rises above full pool quickly and last year overflowed into the parking lot at the launch. This year we are seeing it rise again 11 ft. above full pool as I type this post. The Alabama Power Company which manages the lake has to release all the excess water so it flushes through the two generators at the base of the dam. When both generators are pumping at full force you see the results in this image. One can still trout fish using a spinning reel, but no wading using the flyrod will get results with water this high. 

So, what does a weary fly fisherman do when he can't trout fish------the images above show the answer! I fillet 14 of these pre-spawn beauties and threw back a bunch of future bull gills fishing Walker Lake yesterday. 

I have started wearing Orvis fishing gloves. I had two sunspots removed from the top of my hands in the winter months and one sun growth from the top of my head. My Dermatologist told me I needed to start protecting myself much more from the sunray when I'm on the water. 

A lot of tree pollen covered the surface of the water on the lake yesterday causing me at times to use a dark popper to get the attention of the fish. All the bluegills were scattered and not in a spawning mode. The water temps are still well below spawning activity. The 2 and 3 wt. got all the work yesterday one rigged with a popper and the other rigged with a dry fly coated with Orvis Hy-Flote. It was my first time using this product and I have to say I was impressed. It is much better than any floatant I have ever used. Simply drop the dry fly in the bottle shake and remove blow the dust off and you are ready to fish a dry fly that will float high enabling you to land at least three or four fish. It becomes waterlogged once the fish inhaled it numerous times. You can use it again once it dries then repeat the process using the Hy-Flote. 
I checked the lake level when I fished this overhang or cave last year and the lake level at the time was 497 ft. 3 feet below full pool. Today this area is covered with water resting in the trees above this rock wall. I am not a fan of fishing water this high on any lake, especially a lake as large as Smith Lake. 

10 comments:

  1. Bluegill fishing is a fun way to adapt to changing water/weather conditions (or at any time, for that matter). You're right, the climate is changing rapidly, given the records kept by meteorologists for quite a while. Not only in your southern region but here in the North, as well. Hotter & wetter one year, hotter & drier in the summer, the next. It's difficult knowing how to deal with it all, but we're got to be adaptable & hope for the best. Good hearing from you, Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could send some water our way. Dry as a bone out here with no rain in sight. Now that Covid has calmed down, we're back to worrying about the 1200 year drought again. Nice lake, although with the water to the tree line above the "cave" (which is cool by the way) is a bit scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These last years have seen severely strange weather across the country. It's hard to understand the whys and hows of it, but those photos of fly fishing bluegills are a good reminder to live every day. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walt
    I can't remember a tornado in and around Choctaw County Mississippi when I was growing up. Just goes to show you how times have changed in the weather. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark
    More rain out your way would help with the fires which I assume will begin soon there. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  6. Al
    I get frustrated dealing with the weather conditions here especially when it affects my trout fishing. The last time I was able to fish our tailrace for trout was last May---all because of the rains and generators pumping at the Smith Dam. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bill, the weather feels like it is becoming more extreme on this side of the pond too. If not the coldest, it's the hottest since records began, if not the wettest, it's the driest, and so on. Fishermen pay particular regard to the weather every year, so it's very interesting that a lot of us share the same view.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Justin
    You are spot on with your reply; the cold/hot and wet/dry syndrome kind of settles down in late July and August. I have come to realize that the best time for me to fish here is late July through November. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to see you out and about. Nice fish too! You must be the only one that has plenty of water. Out here in the West, it isn't so great. Hope all is well with you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Emily
    I wish you guys had some of the wasted water flowing down all the streams here. In fact, all the rivers and streams are muddy most of the time, because of all the rain we are receiving. Move to the South and you will get a refresher course in water supply---thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete