Monday, March 1, 2021

My Second Home Lake

 This post was supposed to be about learning the Euro Nymph fishing technique fishing the Sipsey Tailrace. That trip got washed away with heavy generation occurring on the tailrace below the dam on Smith Lake. This time of the year is a tuff time to try to fish the tailrace or the lake because of generation. So I loaded the Pelican Boat in the back of my truck and headed for Walker Lake. I seldom fish this lake with my Bass Tracker because it's much easier to navigate the small nooks that make up the body of the lake. My fishing season always starts each year on Walker Lake because its waters warm up much quicker than a large lake the size of Smith. 

Cold and clear lake water was what I was going to be fishing for today. The water temp was 55 degrees, which is the coldest I've ever fished here. The county is still recovering from the 12 to 15-degree temps we experienced the week earlier. I knew today was going to be a challenge but I was up for the task and just glad to be on the water!
A quality bass on the Yellow Gant, which was the last one I had in my fly box. This fly brings back a lot of memories because it is a fly my brother, who passed away a couple of years ago had tied for him and me some years ago. He also had the same pattern tied in black and red. I've written posts concerning this fly over the years. I like to fish the Gnat using a slow retrieve while watching for line movement. Even in the cold water, this bass put up quite a fight against my 7 1/2 ft. Redington 2wt.
A better view of the fly with red added as an attractor. 
The bass and this Shellcracker are two fish I seldom catch on this lake, but today I got to touch both species. I got my best fight of the day from this fish. As quick as it hit the Gnat he headed for deep water making me think I had a large bass or one of the big carps that roam the lake. The poppers didn't work on this day all they wanted was something slow and easy to latch onto. 

12 comments:

  1. Looks like a beautiful winter outing on the lake, Bill. Your "glad to be on the water" comment resonates with this winter-bound angler looking forward to the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill, two homes are better than one.
    Your choices proves that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A little slow getting here. This last week has been one of those "run your ass off" kind of weeks. That is certainly a pudgy little Shellcracker. Summer fun is just beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walt
    A great way to get the fly fishing juices flowing!!! Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alan

    Glad I have Walker Lake to fish because generation will keep me off the Sipsey for a while. Smith Lake is off-limits also because of falling water. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mark
    Hope you make it out on the water soon-----thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  7. A good back-up option, Bill. Good luck in the season ahead as the weather warms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Justin
    Great practice for the 3 wt. to get ready for the big bull bluegills on Smith Lake later on this month. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bill, good to see you're staying busy and on the water. Love the "Blog-to-book" project! My best, Ralph

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bill... You are fishing more than me! I am getting a little antsy after 7 wks down... Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Emily
    I've only fished twice this year, which is unusual for me. just too much rain. Looks like you made it through a brutal winter. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ralph
    I'm glad I completed the book back during the height of the Covid, because I wouldn't have time to work on it now. Hope you have a great season and land some of those colorful sunfish for me!Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete