Thursday, June 28, 2012

Jigger Pole Fishing on Smith Lake for Catfish

Guys today’s post is a little off the beaten path for me. I went to the lake the other day with one of my fishing buddies to fish for catfish. Yes, I said catfish, not bluegill, bass, or even trout, but catfish. The game plan was to use our crappie jigger poles as catfish rods to land channel cat off the many rock walls on Smith Lake. I got to say it worked to perfection and was really a lot of fun. I must admit this was something new to me as far as fishing for catfish with an 11 ft fishing rod. I have caught catfish back in the day by setting hooks from the bank or using a trotline. I had even landed catfish with my son-in-law and daughter before they got married using the microlight rods, but this technique was a bit different. With the 11 ft. jigger pole you are limited with you amount of line you used and the play of the fish becomes paramount in you landing your prey. If you hear the drag go off then you know you have a nice size fish and have to be extra careful bringing the fish to hand because it can pop a 6 or 8 test line in a heartbeat. I found out right quick if you didn’t have your glob of chicken liver right next to the wall you wouldn’t get a hit. This is a really simple technique all we did was to move the boat about a foot away from the wall and slowly troll paralleling it as we adjusted the deep of the bait while we moved. Sometimes you were fishing in depths of 30 to 40 ft and other times you would reel in line to adjust to the bottom at 20 ft deep. There was no mistaking the hit, sometimes the tip of the rod would submerge in the water and all you had to do was to set the hook and the fight was on. We lost some fish that was just too much for the 6/8 lb test line to handle and the ones we got out were a tussle. I will try anything when it comes to catching fish and today was surely an exciting way to try something new when it comes to fishing.
A side note here: my wife and I have been in Tennessee for the better part of this week welcoming our new granddaughter into the world. Pops (this is what Bryson our grandson calls me) has to do a little bragging here but I would say she is absolutely the prettiest little baby girl I have ever seen. In fact, she is the image of her mother at that age. This is why I have been behind on my blogging this week and for good reason!!


 
These were the winners and yes they were all dressed for 4 to 5 meals. There were lots of fillets here with this bunch
I had to show you guys this image of the one and only trolley rail on the lake equip with the sitting deck at the top of the track. Some of these walls are so high it isn't feasible to try to build stairs.

14 comments:

  1. so your now a rough fisherman, diversity sure keeps things interesting, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun new way to fish Smith Lake. Hopefully we can get together out there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill, I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this post. You've obviously remembered that fishing is for enjoyment and been richly rewarded. Bon appetit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and the photo is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you had a great time out there. I still enjoy my time bait fishing for catfish from shore, but I may have to try this technique out.

    Congratulations to you and your family on the new baby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catfish are fun. That looks like a neat walkway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kevin
    I have never seen the house at the top of the wall. I don't know why it is hidden behind the trees. thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rick
    Live bait fishing sometimes will land more fish than the artificial lures. thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  9. Howard
    The catfish on this lake is extremely good to eat; I consider them the Cadillac of all the warm water fish when it comes to a meal. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jay
    The long crappie pole kind of reminds me of high sticking, seated instead of standing. Just let me know when you guys want to come up. thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blake
    I like to try different fishing modes at times and this one was worth the try. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  12. Howard
    I think I am getting better with the pics

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the new baby!! It sounds like the fishing was a good time as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kim
    Anytime I am on the water fishing is a good time. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete