Monday, April 16, 2012

Fishing Ryan Creek With B.T.


I have found that fishing after a cold front is not the most productive time to fish. That was the case yesterday when my son-in-law B.T. and I ventured out on the waters of Ryan Creek. The temperature was close to 38 on Wednesday night and cool all day Thursday and into Friday. I was hoping for topwater action so B.T. could land a nice size Spotted Bass. All that hit the Rapala were 12 to 13-inch size. The Rapala is an excellent topwater lure to entice some big fish hits but not on Saturday. I was using my 5 wt. with a size 6 Boogle Bug but no hits came. I did manage 6 bluegills 4 of which I will count on my goal of 100 during the spawning period. Those fish all hit after the water reached 68. There was very limited activity on Ryan Creek, so I guess everyone else knew the results before they launched. It was a good outing anytime I can get to fish with B.T. even if it was a slow day.

B. T with one of the 7 or 8 Spotted Bass he landed --we called it quits around noon --slow bite most of the morning--I am still hoping for a super day soon with B.T. so he can finally land his big spot.
One of the four I counted towards my goal--I am now 42 away from my goal. Sorry for the blur this image was taken with iPhone 
Little Fatty size 8 makes another hit

14 comments:

  1. Some days are just tougher than others. Keep going, sooner or later you'll beat them into submission.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you save them up for a big fry?? I used to cook mine up as I caught them. Nothing beats cold fried crappie the next day. Uncle Buck's fish fry is great but I started pan frying mine in a flour coating (without egg wash) with some seasoning. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll be at 100 bulls in no time, let's hope I make my goal of 1500 fish, just like you'll make your goal. Thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those tough days are all part of it. But you still added to your quest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark
    That is what fishing so much fun--you never know the outcome until the end of the trip. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  6. Josh
    I put all the fish up in the freezer. My wife and I have fish all year. We bake most all the fillets and use Zatarain seasoning to coat the fillets and then bake them in the oven; every once in while we will deep fry the fish but not often. The catfish and crappie fillets are out of sight deep fired---but I know you know that. We eat fish at least twice a week. Last year we had close to 60 packs in the deep freeze. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brk
    Cold fronts are killers when it comes to fishing. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  8. Devin
    It is going to be tougher to reach the 100 now that everybody is on the beds at Walker County Lake. I can catch them at Smith, but it will take longer. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you were still able to pull a few fish on a tough day. 100 here you come.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't been fshing for bluegill in a while. such a good time, I need to go! good news on being closer to 100!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sanders
    Tough days do make it interesting. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  12. J
    The bluegill is one awesome fish to go after with the fly rod. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are some nice fish! good luck on your goal. We have a lake down here in Southern Arizona that you would love. Arivaca lake is fairly hard to get to, so it isn't pressured very hard, and it is absolutely teeming with some of the biggest bluegill I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rick
    Catching those big bull bluegill on a 3 wt. is out of sight! I will get back to my goal next week I have two trips planned for Tuesday and Thursday--hope to add to my numbers. Arivaca Lake would be similar to Smith I assume, clear and deep. The deepest place in Ryan Creek is 225 ft. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete