Friday, March 23, 2012

Using The Micro Lights Rods and Jigger Poles For Super Size Crappie

In most parts of the country, Dogwoods blooming triggers crappie season. Crappie usually starts the spawn when the water temps reach the upper 60’s. This is when the fish start to move into the shallow areas of a lake. These areas could be the back of nooks or even flats next to the water's edge. They seem to prefer areas with cover such as submerged brush or anything that will hold cover for them to feed on small baitfish while the spawn is occurring.  One of my crappie fishing buddies went with me yesterday on Smith Lake. I had a couple of my microlights in the 7 ½ ft. lengths with 4 lb test line rigged. I also had my long jigger pole in the 11 ft. length with me. This length rod works well when you want to put the jig right in the face of the fish. Another great advantage with this rod is the vertical fishing one can do, meaning raising the jig up and down. Sometime the crappie will hit the jig on the downfall, especially when the bite is really slow. I like to use the microlight rods to search for the fish and once the bite slows using the microlights, then switch to the long rods so you can bring the lure even closer to their mouth. Crappie has a tendency to bite really well for 15 to 20 minutes and then turn off. When this occurs the fish usually retrieved back into the cover where they were holding when you first located them. Placing the jig using the long rods right in their face at this time will continue to help you get hits. I will discuss the types of reels, jig, lures, and rod brands in future post.
First Crappie of the day using a white curly tail jig --a lot of fun on the microlight rod. Notice the dark colors
Different colored jig --we manage to land 6 along with a number of bass and a couple of bluegills--all on curly tail jigs. I kept all the crappie, because they are beyond good when deep-fried. I know it would have been a better day for the crappie if it had not been for the crappie tournament they were having on the lake. It felt like we were picking up the last few in each nook that the tournament fisherman had either overlook or missed.

14 comments:

  1. Nice fish, landed a 14 inch Black Crappie in a small pond last week, put up a good fight and very aggressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Devin
    I have found that crappie have a different pull about them as oppose to bass and bluegill. A 14" is considered a slab. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to try some crappie fishing. Interesting and unlike anything I've done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howard
    Crappie fishing is a challenge, the reason I say this; is the bite they can be on for 10 minutes and off 30 minutes. They are a very finicky fish, but still a lot of fun on the long rods. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crappie are awesome! They're on fire here right now. Great tips Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ty
    Today they were off, in fact no crappie at all. Monday should be a better day. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those crappie are hard to beat...glad you found some for the fryer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sanders
    Crappie is the Cadillac of fish when it comes to eats. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the color variations on crappies. Such beautiful natural camo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brian
    I wish I could find some more--they are hitting right now. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brk
    The black crappie has the best looking colors. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those Micro Lite rods. I've been using one when I don't feel like throwing flies. Love those black crappie too. Good post Bill. JGR

    ReplyDelete
  13. JGR
    The Micro Lights are the next best thing to the fly rod. I really like the 7 1/2 ft length. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete