Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Versatile G-Loomis Venture 3 Fly Reel

I am sure some of you guys read the post I did on the purchase of my new Greys XF2 Streamflex 9 ft. 3 wt. fly rod. After getting the rod you know I had to get the perfect reel to match the rod. After searching the net for a week I finally decided that the perfect reel for balance and weight was one that I actually had on my Temple Fork 4 wt.  I am talking about the G-loomis Venture 3. This reel is sold in arbor size 3, 5, and 7. The Venture 3 is the size used mainly for trout and panfish which will spool 2, 3 or 4 wt. line. I should have the reel here some times next week, and FINALLY, I get to try the combo out!!!
 The main reason aside from the weight and size I am impressed with this reel is the free spool. Free spool meaning I can retrieve a pile of line that may be at my feet in a hurry by simply touch spinning the rim face of the reel. The line is spooled up in a hurry without using the handle. The free spool feature alone is worth it because the quicker you get a large fish on the reel the better chance you have landing it. The following is the description of the Venture from the G-loomis Website.

The smallest of our VENTURE Series fly reels; the #3 is made for trout & pinfish and size 2, 3 and 4-weight fly lines where you don't require a lot of backing. The backing capacity is based on standard dacron (2WF plus 120 yards 20#, 3WF plus 100 yards 20#, 4WF plus 75 yards 20#), but we recommend Power Pro "super braid" because you can get more on each spool

13 comments:

  1. Nice reel Bill. A few weeks ago I picked up a Pflueger President 2078 for a new 4 pc 5 wt, but I'll have to wait months to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking rod and reel. A 9ft 3wt, you will have fun with that.
    Thanks for the links.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to hear how the first trip with the new gear goes for you...should be good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool little reel. That set-up is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. John
    The Pflueger President is an awesome fly reel. The drag system is one of the best on any fly reel out there. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brk
    The balance on the is combo is perfect for what I want to use this system for. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ty
    I will be giving a report in a week or two on how the combo works. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, found your blog and followed. jGR

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sanders
    I am still waiting for the reel to go with the rod. It is on backorder. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  10. JGR
    Thanks for signing on with Fishing Through Life, hope you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am currently searching for info on cleaning,greasing,oiling my GLoomis Venture3. Glad to see someone else with one! I didn't know about free wheeling the spool to wind up line. Interesting.
    I do love this little reel. My main reason for buying it... it is a great looking reel.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joe
    Glad you like the Loomis, it is the only reel I use for trout and panfish. The free spool is the best part of the reel. Very few fly reels have this feature. Thanks for the commnet

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jestep
    I am glad to know the Venture has that kind of reel life, because I have 3 Venture reels all being the 3 version. I hope you are able to find the Venture 3 because Gloomis has stop making the reel. There are still a few places that handle it but you will need to search. Hope you find it. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete