Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Fishing With Scent Attractors

 What kind of role does scent play when you are fishing? For me as far as warm water fishing is concerned it is paramount in attracting fish. I know I have been on the water number of times and not catching fish and added a scent attractor to the lure and got the hit. This is especially true when I am using spinning gear. There are lots of attractor brands on the market, not to mention the scent impregnated plastic lures. One of my favorite is the crappie nibblet. I can add a tiny crappie nibblet to one of the hooks on my lure and get the fish to take the lure quicker, especially on those slow days. I have used the sprays and liquids but got away from those some years ago when I realized that the nibblet stays with the lure longer than the sprays and liquid, which usually washed off after numbers of cast.

As for trout fishing attractors, for me there is no substitute better than a well tied fly to imitate the real thing. I feel that using attractor would inhibit the performance of the fly. If you are really into using a scent attractor on your flies then try some mud at the bottom of the stream rubbed over your fly, that is about as close as I would come to odor on flies.

I am a firm believer in masking human scent especially when I am trout fishing. According to research trout have amazing powers of smell, in fact much, much better than humans. Let's say you have used Ole Spice aftershave the morning you are hitting the stream. You get to the stream and tie on your favorite fly and you immediately transfer the smell of the aftershave onto the fly. This sends an alarm to the trout that this particular fly is not real and in a heartbeat the trout is gone. I am not as careful masking scent in warm water situations but when it come to trout you are dealing with a fish that is much smarter and more wary of its surrounding, so you need every advantage you can muster to be successful. What's your take on the scent attractor factor when you are fishing?

8 comments:

  1. Good advice... as a fly fisher, I, uh, never add scent to my, uh, flies... but I bet if I did, it would pay off! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 333
    As the post stated I am into scent attractors for warmwater but still thinking about the trout fishing. If I was going to use scent it would be on something like the San Juan Wrom. Thanks for the commnet

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've thought about putting a crawdad spray scent in some of my chenille body crayfish flies... I bet it would help. I think that might be one of the few appropriate uses in fly fishing... and honestly, fishing a weight crayfish or woolly bugger is pretty much jig fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Bill. I've found that using a littl dab of anise on your power bait will change a day from skunk to limit. As far as flies, I fish them as is.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark
    What is anise??? Never heard of it but if will help me catch more fish I am for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jay
    I am considering putting some San Juan Worms in a jar of attractor ===say worm attractor and let it set for a day or two, and then fish it. I feel the scent would stay with it for a while longer after it had socked in the attractor for a day or two. Just a thought Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greg
    Thanks glad you enjoyed the post.

    ReplyDelete