Friday, August 9, 2024

Still Landing a Few Fish on Smith Lake---PATIENCE!!!

 The extreme heat is a killer during the summer months, not only for the fish you are pursuing on Smith Lake, but it takes a toll on the person doing the fishing. The only way to enjoy fishing this time of year is to be on the water before dawn, fish for three hours, and leave before the sun takes over and the humidity gets unbearable. Cathey and I followed that plan to the letter this past Tuesday when we left the house at 4:30 and started fishing at 5:15. No hot sun and no humidity to cause your clothes to get wet. In the deep South, roughly six months are considered prime fishing months: March, April, May, June, October, and most of November. Early Spring, starting in March through June, is exceptional. The water temps are warming up, and the spawn is on for the bass and bluegill during these months. The fish are hungry after a long winter of eating very little and will eat almost anything thrown their way. October is another month that is an excellent time to toss topwater lures and poppers. The fish are stocking up for the winter months. Some of my best topwater action is in October, not for the bluegill, but the spotted and largemouth bass are very active during October. 

The dog days of summer cause me to look forward to all these months every year. The only negative aspect of Spring and Fall every year is that I get a year only when these months come around. The positive aspect is landing many fish during these months, so the positive outweighs the negative when considering the fishing part. 

This was one greedy bass; it not only wanted to inhale the Bea's Popper I was fishing, but once I landed the fish, I noticed a small bluegill in its throat with only the tail of the bluegill showing. It put up quite a fight on my 3 wt. This would be my only bass for the three-hour trip.
My 3 wt. was really put to the test when landing this nice bull gill. The fight was equal to the spotted bass I landed earlier that morning. This would be my only keeper. I did land a few small gills, but they were not worth keeping
Cathey, fishing with crickets and her 8-foot ultra-light spinning rod combo, won the bluegill total. I am still trying to teach her to use the fly rod. Hopefully, she will be using it before next year's spawn



2 comments:

  1. Hi Bill. Just wanted to let you know I'm still around. Not doing any fishing at this time because I'm just happy I can walk. Arthritis is a killer. Thought I'd stop in to see how you and the wife are doing. All's well out in NorCal.
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mark
    Good to hear from you. Yes, arthritis is painful. I am beginning to have problems with the joints in both my thumbs. Lucky for me, it comes and goes.
    I am not doing as much fishing as last year because one of my fly fishing buddies had to give it up because of age and was afraid of falling, getting in and out of my boat. So I lost my Tuesday fly fishing buddy but replaced him with a lady who knows how to land supersize bluegill, my wife. I do very little fly fishing when she is fishing with me because she will not handle the fish or crickets, but it means fishing, and at my age now, I'm glad I am blessed to be on the water at 77.
    I wish you lived closer because even with your arthritis, we would make a fishing trip happen for both of us. Take care

    ReplyDelete