Monday, May 30, 2011

Jigger Pole, Spider Trolling, & Micro Light----- WHAT?????

This is one Memorial Day Weekend I want forget for some time. My brother and I spent the holiday weekend landing some of the largest crappie we have ever landed on the local lake near his home. I know the title of this post can be a little confusing, so here is the explanation. We were using 4 different techniques to land all the fish we kept the past three days. Let’s start with the Micro Light technique. I have talk about this technique before on this blog but let me give you a little more information. It is the method we started with Friday evening on the lake, which produced 17 crappie and bluegill. The micro-light method is just what it implies LIGHT fishing, using a 7 to 7 ½ ft. rod with a light spinning reel loaded with 4 lb. test light. This method emulates a short fly rod, which makes for some fantastic action when you are playing the size crappie and bluegill we were landing. Bass Pro’s Micro Light spinning and Daiwa’s SpinmaticUltra Light Spinning rods are two of the best on the market, and at a reasonable price, especially the Daiwa brand. We were using both rods Friday evening with reels that produced the perfect balanced for the big 12 to 13 inch crappie we were catching.

The Jigger Pole was another set-up we used. My brother has used this set-up for a number of years. He is extremely good playing and landing crappie with this technique. I am still in the learning stages here, but I must admit it is a lot of fun learning. Here the individual uses a long graphic rod usually 9 to 13 ft. in length with a small spinning reel or close face reel. This set-up is perfect to fish in tight places such as stomps or treetops. We used this technique on Saturday evening in treetops and submerged stomps we found in some of the nooks on the lake. The best lure for the Jigger is a tube jig or a minnow. The advantage one has here is holding the lure in front of the crappie longer. We found that Saturday evening the fish was reluctant to hit as aggressively as Friday so keeping the lure in the strike zone longer helped our catch ratio. We both were using 11 ft. rods with tube jigs and 4 lb. test line. As stated I am still having trouble landing the larger fish here because of the length of rod, and keeping the fish from jumping. I lost some monster crappie on this trip because I let the fish jump using the Jigger Pole.

Another method we were using was trolling. This is where you simply cast the lure out as far as you can and then begin to move the boat using the trolling motor allowing the lure to sink slowly. As you move the boat the lure which can be anything from a crank baits to soft lures such as the curly tail jig we were using to attract a hit. This technique will work year round and can be really effective when the fish are scattered and hard to locate. We landed numbers of crappie and large bluegill doing this.

The last method on Sunday morning was the spider fishing technique. Here the individual simply lays the jigger pole or rod down in the boat with a certain amount of line out to correlate with the bottom or the depths the crappie are feeding at and let’s the boat move slowly; but the best way to do this is to rest the rods in rod holders off the front or back of the boat. The holders can hold up to 8 rod or more rods front and back. In turn the word Spider comes to mind because of all the rods spreading out at the front and back of the boat emulating a spider’s legs. One can really load the boat with the spider when the fish are in a feeding frenzy. We used this technique today, but my brother didn’t have the holders set up at the front or back of the boat so we laid the rods down in the boat to get the same effect, and it worked. The waves created from the wind today gave the tube jigs we were using a slight up and down motion, which was deadly and produce some 13” fish. At times we really had to grab the rods quickly because the fish were hitting so aggressively.  This is a set-up I am looking forward to when I go back, in month or two.  My brother should have all the rod holders in place by then.  I have never fish this way before so I will be learning a new technique here. The weather conditions caused us to use all these set-ups for the past three days. Wind out of the south and east at 20 to 25 mph, clear blue skies, and extremely clear water made for some tough fishing. If we had not switched from one set-up to another during the three days we would have never landed 50 fish, and brought home the 44 we cleaned for a big fish fry. As always it is good to visit and fish with my brother and sister-in-law. I told my sister-in-law before I left today that this is always like a mini vacation for me, because I know that I will always have great food and of course fantastic fishing.  
Really important to know where the treetops and stomps are by using an indicator, we landed some nice crappie here with the Jigger Pole
This is one beautiful lake and extremely clear which can make for some tough fishing. The fish in this lake have seen it all, just like Smith Lake my home lake.
The Curly Tail 1/16 oz. smoke and glitter worked here just like it did last Saturday on Smith.
One can't put a lot of pressure on a crappie when trying to land it, because their mouth area is paper thin
Color plays an important role when crappie fishing, notice the tube jig we had to got to today. This jig was used on the jigger pole Spider fishing
My brother with just one of the many slabs he landed
The Curly Tail jig we used with the Micro Light set-up

The end result, some of these crappie reached the 13" mark.
Good, Better and BEST

6 comments:

Pond Leak said...

Fishing is my favorite hobby i am crazy about it, I found your blog really interesting that's why i book mark it.

Ty said...

Excellent "how to" clinic for catching crappie. Great post!

Trent said...

Great trip...dad and I are planning on going late Wednesday afternoon. I would like some crappie for the freezer. Grant and I will see you Friday.

Sanders said...

Well done sir!

Mel said...

Great post, Bill. Very enjoyable with all the pictures and tips you gave. Man, I would love to fish on some of those lakes with you. Better start saving my pennies.

Bill Trussell said...

Pond Leak
Thanks for giving me a view, and hope you enjoy some of my upcoming trips
@Ty
Thanks for taking the time to read the post hope you check back.
@Trent
Looking forward to see you and Grant Friday. We will have lunch ready
@Mel
I am living my dream of fishing at least three times a week, you are welcome anytime to come and fish with me.