Saturday, July 14, 2018

Fly Fishing the Elk River With Bryson & B.T.


Nothing like fishing with family, and Friday was another opportunity for me to cast some flies with my son-in-law B.T and my grandson Bryson. He has been wanting to make a flow trip with us for the past couple of years, and Friday we made it happen. We meet David Perry our guide at the river's edge below Tims Ford Dam at 7AM. I have fished with David many times before and know that he will always put us on trout. The Elk is a tailrace that is stocked once a month with rainbow and browns. B.T and I have fished it from the bank at the dam a number of times, with lots of other fly fishermen doing the same; to escape the crowd the boat is the way to hit all the honey holes.
Pops and B.T. were really pound of the way Bryson handled the trip considering we were on the water fishing for 5 hours and then another 2 hours to get to the take out area. One of many trout that Bryson would land before the trip was over. This trip was about Bryson experiencing the thrill of trout fishing and learning how to land trout and safely return them to the water to fight another day.  
One happy little guy; I can't begin to tell you guys how much fun it is to enter act with all three of my grandchildren at the ages of 4, 6, and soon to be 9 years old Bryson. Sometimes I wish they didn't have to go up so fast!!!

7 comments:

  1. Bill it looks like the family outing was a productive one.
    Nice looking brown.
    Have you ever fished the Elk before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alan
    I have floated the Elk before with David, this trip as stated was about getting Bryson into fly fishing, especially trout fishing. I have fished the Elk wading and landed numbers of trout. The place is fished heavy with a lot of other individuals fishing the river from the banks. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill, Such a great way to enjoy some fly-fishing in the present time while ensuring that the young ones will appreciate the beauty of it all and continue with a wonderful tradition. Thanks for sharing your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to always enjoy taking my boys and nephews and nieces out fishing when they were little. We made many happy memories that we still talk about. It looks like Bryson is turning into a fine fisherman like his grandpa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Walt
    The next learning process Bryson will master is casting and actually landing the he fish he is casting to; so proud of him. Thanks for the complete

    ReplyDelete
  6. Howard
    I never had the opportunity to fish with both of my grandpa's, I was 3 years old when both passed away. I'm glad I have that opportunity now!! Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lester
    Never a boring moment fishing with the grandchildren-----thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete