Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Fluctuating Water Levels Produce Tough Fishing Conditions

My son Jason and I left at daylight this morning to fish Ryan Creek on beautiful Smith Lake. This is the first time I have been back on the lake since the last of June when I developed a leak in my boat. The leak isn’t repaired but the boat is fishable. We were battling fluctuating water levels on the lake due to the annual draw down this time of the year. When the generators are running the fish go super deep and develop lock jaw. That was the case today, but I really didn’t mind, because it gave me and Jason a chance to spend some fishing time together.
A really outstanding point in the spring, but really tough this time of year when the water is falling---we worked it with the Boogle Bugs with no takes
11” Spot after the sun came up on the black Boogle, Jason did get the bend in the 5 wt. even with this small spot, I really admire these fish
Numerous lots are being cleared to make way for more floating docks. This area where this dock will be placed will cover one of my honey holes.

Jason landed this bluegill right before we left the lake for home; yes I did dress this fish, because I expect another trip in a few days that will add to this meal. Dad came up short today!!!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

18 comments:

  1. At least you're getting out. I haven't fished in over a month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As hard as Jason works, he needs some good down time and being with dad is about as good as it gets for a son.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to echo what Kevin said. Pressing family matters have kept me away from the water. As you said Bill, you got out with your son. Makes it a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still sounds like a good way to spend the morning, Bill, despite the tough conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kevin
    This time of the year is a challenge, because of the heat and humidity. I think everyone fishes less this time of the year. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mark
    He is really enjoying being at home even if the fishing is slow. thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  7. Howard
    I seldom get to fish with Jason anymore; a plus for us to get together. thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  8. River
    We left early and got back before the heat and humidity set in. thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bill, I think we all have days when we just need to take in the scenery and the beautiful water and the company of who we are with. "Peace" is where you find it..............

    ReplyDelete
  10. I surely do hate when the fish shut down. Time with your son surely makes up for a lot of it, though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nothing better than spending time as father and son.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brook
    August and September are really slow months with the warmwater species. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mel
    Good to be on back on the water again after missing a month. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  14. Matt
    One can't beat quality time with your children. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry to hear your honey hole will be gone. Glad you were able to get out on the water!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Juan
    More and more houses are being built on the lake with more floating docks, which covers up some really great fishing spots. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just hate it when the honey hole is not available to fish in. In your case... due to building demands. In my case, someone else has found the same lucky spot and frequently visits it! Oh well... Such is life.

    ReplyDelete
  18. RD
    I'm not the only one who knows about this honey hole, my advantage is I fish it during the week and the rest fish it on weekends--advantage retirement!!--thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete