Sunday, October 4, 2015

Driftwood Abundant on Smith Lake This Time of Year

This is the time of the year on Smith Lake one can find some really nice pieces of driftwood.  The lake is being pulled down now and driftwood is scattered all along its banks. Cathey and I like to place different pieces of wood in our yard. It adds character to areas in the yard that need a little pick me up. We’ve had pieces in our yard for years that hasn’t deteriorated with age.
This huge pine stump was taken from the shoreline on Smith a couple of years ago with the help B.T. my son-in-law. We got some strange looks at the boat dock when we motored up with this thing resting on the back deck of the bass boat. The top of the stump is buried in the ground more than a foot deep.
A different size cypress stump sitting upright

I found this cedar stump a few weeks ago buried in a sandbar along with one of the shorelines. Very unusual to have the inside hollowed out. The tree had been cut years ago.
Using rock alongside the driftwood adds to the landscaping
This is a piece of poplar driftwood that I found in the Blackhills of South Dakota on our recent trip there. Every piece that I have shown you here in this post has a memory.

10 comments:

  1. Hadn't thought about driftwood for garden decoration, but now that we have "gardens", might be an idea to add a couple. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll admit, I would have have been one of those people staring at you with a puzzled look on my face. But now that you have explained it...I can appreciate the creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy finding unusual looking pieces of driftwood, rocks and stuff but they've never found their way into the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill nice collection. Looking at it can give one several different thoughts has to what it may be.
    I have several pieces of driftwood, smaller, that I use for fly presentations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark
    I would guess that there is lots of driftwood on the shores of the lakes you fish. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  6. Drew
    A nice addition to any landscaped yard. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  7. Howard
    Rocks are another landscaping item that catches my eyes. In fact I brought home some nice looking rocks from our trip out west. Thanks for comment

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some lovely pieces of driftwood, Bill; thanks for reminding people that there's art and a bit of soul there when driftwood is placed in the right location.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Walt
    I started my driftwood collection some years ago; another one of my hobbies. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alan
    Driftwood really adds to the appearance of a fish or animal mount. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete