Sunday, August 2, 2015

Indicators What’s Your Favorite

Indicators where do I begin; there are bunches on the market, that work to perfection while others need some more work. With most of us using the indicator nymph combo on a lot of our fishing trips; I thought I would share with you guys some of the latest ones to hit the market and some that have been around for a while.

Before you begin each two minute preview, let me explain why I am even doing this post: on my last outing I had a hell of a time removing the pinch on style indicator from my line. After the ordeal with the pinch on I placed the standard stick/football indicator on and wasn’t impressed with it either. The stick swells in the water making it difficult to remove once you are ready to fish a dry. My inner thoughts that day and days before kept telling me there has to be a simpler way to us an indicator, and I found it by doing a little research. Just curious, what is your favorite indicator and why?
This is one indictor I haven’t heard of the “ Fish Pimp”
 
The Yarn Indicator
 
BioStrike Indicator
Insta Set
Frog Hair
Pinch On indicators---the video shows how to remove the indicator from you tippet; a light tippet will break using this removal method
Tear Drop Slip Foam Indicator
Still Water Indicator
Famous Thingabobber
 
After finishing the research I have to admit the  Fish Pimp and the
Insta Set are my two favorites. I will give both try.
 
 

 

17 comments:

  1. Bill, I like the palsa pinch on indicators as well as the Thingamabobbers. Another one that is awesome is the New Zealand Strike Indicator System. If you haven't tried it, look it up and see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like David, I like the Thingamabobbers the best. I would love to try the NZ Strike Indicator because they've had some great reviews. One that you forgot Bill is the old standby the Big Bushy Stimulator which is what I use for smaller water. I'd be interested in what other folks have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Bill, I don't use any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though they kink your line. I'm a fan of the thingamabobbers. The old school foam ones with the tooth pick work the best but fall apart too quickly. The bobbers seem to be the most durable and work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Bill, for bringing up the subject. I used to get anxious fishing wets and nymphs if I'd run out of indicators. Not any more. I find that for most of my outings,indicators just aren't needed. I pick up the slack and watch the movement of line and leader. And catch just as many fish. However, I do make exception when casting for salmon and steelhead. Then I still like to use a pinch indicator or some other form that doesn't have a lot of wind resistance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. David
    I will back trout fishing tomorrow and will try the pinch on again and give the removal method used on the video and see how it works. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  7. Howard
    I'm not sold on the thingabobber but will give the NZ thing a try. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alan
    I had a feeling you never use an indicator. thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  9. Walt
    I have a post coming up where I ditch the indicator and high stick the entire trip; landing numerous trout with that method. thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kevin
    I've used both and have to go with the tooth pick version--thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bill, this is a good question for us all to think about. However, in the end, everybody has their own opinion of what works for them the best. I have used the Pinch On Foam Indicators and like them if you are not fishing large nymphs. I have tried the Thingamabobbers and like the concept. Just not enough experience yet to give an honest answer. I have been trying to fish more soft hackle patterns and don't use a Strike Indicator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mel
    After watching the video and seeing exactly how to remove the Pinch On, I've decided it is my best bet on the Sipsey. I like because it doesn't put a crimp in you line like some of the other indictors on the market do. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  13. Since I've picked up the European style of nymphing (tightline) I don't use an indicator and don't miss it one bit! I do use a section of fluorescent mono to keep track of where the line is but nothing on the water.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to like Thingamabobbers, but had too many line breaks at the indicator when I'd hook up with carp on suspended nymphs. I then switched to the Lightning Strike football indicators. They were ok, but I cast a lot of them off my line. I switched to the Fish Pimp original size indicators, and they work well for me. Sometimes they slip a little after many casts, but depth adjustment is extremely easy and you don't need to cut your line to attach it, and it doesn't twist your line. They cast very well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mark
    I have a post coming up take that involves the use of tight lining or European style nymphing and really like the fact I didn't have to deal with any type of indicator. The water was fast and the indictor would not have been as effective. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dave
    I am glad some you guys recommended the Fish Pimp, because that was the one indicator I think I would like. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lester
    I've had trout to hit the indicator, it is a shame it has no hook. The midge pupa and yarn is something I haven't tried. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete