Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Enduring The Aches and Pain to Land Fish

As we get older whether we are the young guys or the more seasoned anglers, we experience some aches and pains. With each aging year brings another arch mainly in our backs, legs, necks, or shoulders. There are numerous prescriptions to help with the pain in the form of pills, shots, therapy, and as a last resort surgery. I watched my Dad, Mom, Father-in-law, and Mother-in-law all use one or more of these prescription pain killers mentioned above with limited results. The end result is one can’t fool time and we all will eventually succumb to old age.

Why I am rambling on about such a depressing subject, because as I get older I feel all these aches and pain, whether I am doing yard work or out on the water casting my favorite fly. I have noticed the past couple of years I have more tendonitis in my knees and arms, but what is really annoying is the tendonitis in my shoulders. It really acts up in my right shoulder on days when I am on the water for four or five hours. So to help ease the pain on those fishing days, I decided to do some research concerning shoulder tendonitis. I found that there are ways one can help relieve shoulder tendonitis, by a simple rub message or a back stretch exercise. I have tried both procedures and they have helped relieve the pain in both my shoulders. No way is a little pain going to keep me off the water!!!

11 comments:

  1. Bill as I zero in on 69 I can relate to aches and pains. My sore spot is my knees. After a day of rigors on a small stream my knees start to ache. Most times I can get relief from a hot shower and a good nights sleep. Recovery time can be a day to perhaps 3. As far as pain killers I find that ibuprofin x 2 will be satisfactory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you seem to have found a solution. I would miss your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy do you know of what you speak. As soon as I turned 50 I could tell the difference. It's just gotten progressively more noticeable as the years have piled on. Just take it easy Bill. You don't need to catch 50 fish in one outing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lester
    Wouldn't it be great to reverse some of those arches and pain back to when were younger. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alan
    Glad the pain is not in your casting shoulder, that is where I am having the problems. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  6. RM
    Both procedures have helped some. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  7. Howard
    Shorter trips help ease the shoulder pain--if I landed 50 fish on one trip, I would probably forget about the shoulder. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bill, sorry to hear. I can't imagine life w/o fishing and hope I never will. Glad to hear you've found something that's providing positive results.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For those of us who are seriously in love with the outdoor life, your last sentence says it all. As long as it's only the "little pain" that bothers us, we're pretty much good to go-- damn glad for the opportunity and thankful it's not worse-- yet. Thanks for sharing these thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Drew
    It will take more than a little pain to keep me off the water--thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  11. River
    I could be much worse off than shoulder pain, which I will learn to live with. thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete