Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Fly Fishing Magazines We All Enjoy Reading


If one fly fishes they probably read an array of fly fishing magazines and buy fishing equipment and supplies from numerous tackle magazines. Receiving magazines in the mail is like receiving a Christmas gift every month. Some we paid a monthly subscription for and some we receive because we purchase an item or two from their company. In either case it’s a way to add knowledge and enjoyment to a sport we are all continuing to learn and love with each passing season.

I receive a couple of fly fishing online publications as well as numerous free fishing magazines that includes all type fishing as well as fly fishing. I have found ordering just one tiny item from any of these companies will usually get you a free magazine for months, which is fine with me.

I always want to share with my fellow bloggers, so with this post I thought I would give you all some insight into some publications concerning fly fishing. I am sure most of you are familiar with some of these publications, but as I did my research I discovered some that was new to me. Let’s start with one everyone may know about:
 
Fly Fisherman--- This magazine is one of the most well-known fly fishing magazines available.
Fly Rod and Reel--- This print magazine also focuses on the fish themselves, their habitat, and what tackle is best for each situation.
Eastern Fly Fishing---One of my favorites; the magazine is available in print publication as well as digital download.
Northwest Fly Fishing--- Fly fishing in the great states of Northern California, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Wyoming as well as British Columbia, Alberta, Northwest Territories, Yukon Territory and Alaska.
Southwest Fly Fishing--- For fly fishing anglers living in the Southwest area of the United States.
The Drake Magazine--- Unbelievable amount of information about fly fishing found in this one magazine 
American Angler---This publication is considered the fly fishing authority of fly fishing.
Catch Magazine--- Official journal of fly fishing photography and film
Fly Tyer Magazine---Official magazine for the fly tyer, the beginner and the seasoned tyer
Angling Trade Magazine---An array of fish fishing information
Fly Fusion---North American fly fishing authority
Fly Fishing and Tying Journal---America’s leading publisher of fishing books and magazines, serving anglers since 1967
Hatches--- A publication with a strong devotion to professional writing, beautiful photography and informative articles
Rod Maker Magazine--- Worlds leading publication for custom rod builders

J Stockard Fly Fishing---Dealing specifically with fly tying and supplies, not a monthly publication

Southern Trout---Need I say more, really close to home!!

Hope this list of magazine publications will be helpful for those of you considering subscribing to new issue of fly fishing.
 
 

10 comments:

  1. Mel I used to get several magazines. I've cut down to American Angler and Fly Tyer if the issue has something in it I like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the letters to the editor section of Flyfisherman. Check out the new kid on the block, SoMuchWater.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alan
    Like you I got carried away with fly fishing magazines a few years ago--now I am into one. thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howard
    I will give SoMuchWater.com a look. thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Bill, for putting a list of reminders out there for us who can't seem to get enough fly fishing and fly tying. I have subscribed to several of those in the past. This was before the Internet fly fishing explosion. Now, I find plenty to read with all the blogs, forums, and online fly fishing magazines to keep me more than busy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome...more stuff to read while I'm getting through my bout with cabin fever!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Drew
    I am glad I was able to provide some great read for you. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mel
    I must admit I am not a physical magazine reader, all my reading is on blogs an online magazine links. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  9. I admit I am sold on The Drake. Just seems to be produced at a top notch quality and suits my style of fly fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Al
    I agree the Drake is a top quality magazine. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete