Sunday, May 20, 2012

Getting Tougher to Reach my Goal of 100 Super Bluegills


I got back on the water this week for a couple of days. The lake has been falling and cool nights have put a damper on the catch ratio. There has been very little bass action on top or subsurface; but that is Smith Lake, deep, super clear and heavy fishing pressure. This lake has had three bass tournaments in the past month and that plays a big part in whether the bass is active. I have always heard that lakes that have a tremendous amount of pressure should be fished completely different from the way everybody else fishes the lake. I have taken that statement to heart some years ago when I started Micro Light fishing and Fly Fishing on the lake. These two methods of fishing are seldom used on Smith which has made it quite productive for me over the years, especially with the fly rod. I have only seen one other fisherman use the fly rod on this lake over the past ten years, and I hope that trend continues. I am still working on my goal every time I launch the boat here and today and Wednesday were no exception. Both days produced 20 to 25 bluegills with only a few big enough to count towards my goal. Wednesday was tough because the lake was falling and I had to go with subsurface flies such as the Upside Bream Killer and a size 12 Cream Nymph. I only landed a couple on top using the Humpy Green dry fly. Today was somewhat better but still limited surface action. The Muddler Minnow was the fly that got their attention today, but it only produced one good gill and a couple smaller ones. I used the Cream Nymph the rest of the morning to finish the trip. I can’t go to Smith this time of year without trying the Boogle Bug, but there was no action at all with the Spots and Largemouth bass. I thought I would never wish for hot humid weather but that is what it is going to take to bring back the top action. I am now 32 big bluegills away to reach my goal. It is getting tougher now that the spawn is winding down. I only have 2 to 3 weeks left.  Wish me luck!!!
Beautiful colored Bluegill right out of the water, this one counted
I counted two of these on Wednesday's trip, I landed numbers of smaller fish but they didn't make my count
All four of these counted towards the goal for Saturday's trip again I landed a lot of smaller fish but no count---Sorry no bass to report on.
I had to take a picture of this beauty, the colors on this sunfish are outstanding. I have never landed one any bigger than this guy.

22 comments:

  1. That's a big goal!!

    I do love the colors of the bluegill and sunfish - they have to be one of the more colorful freshwater fish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill

    I've got confidence in you. You'll met your goal and more. Fish anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see the only solution to this problem is to fish more and work less. Yup, works for me.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck on your quest.
    The Humpy, another good one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brook
    I agree the sunfish and male bluegill has outstanding colors--thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  6. Howard
    It is getting tough especially now that Alabama Power is drawing a lot of water. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mark
    Since both of us are retired that does make sense. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blake
    Never landed any larger Sunfish than the one in the image.Thanks for the commet

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brk
    The Humpy worked better than the poppers on both days. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! Sounds like you had a good time out there.but you are really close to your goal now! Keep fishing I am rooting for your success!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rick
    This goal thing is a way for me to have a little contest with myself. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you can do it! Love catching big sun fish on the fly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stay on em Bill! You will make it. I defiantly hear you on the warmer weather. We had a cold front blow through the other week and it slowed things down. Once it warms up I feel you will have some great outings for sure. Good Luck and happy fishing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with Shoreman...fish more, work less...sounds about right :-)

    Good luck and keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hang in there Bill. You've come a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sanders
    I am living my dream of fishing as much as I can. May not make the goal

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brian
    The bass fishing is going to pick up --it is going to be in the high 90's hot and humid. Fish early and get off the water early---thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kevin
    The spawn is just about over, it will be close for me to make it. Thanks for the commet

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always appreciate people who appreciate bream. Don't stop a 100 though!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  20. Outdoor
    Thanks for the encouragement, I will keep trying to reach the goal.

    ReplyDelete