Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Relocating Fish for the Purpose of Landing Bigger & Better

I made a trip today to the area where the new lake has been built. My buddy and I meet one of the guys from the fish hatchery out of Birmingham. He brought the last of the Coppernose Bluegill to stock in the lake. For a more in depth explanation of this fish check one of my previous post. Both of us had a little time after the hatchery people left to fish the pond on the property. We landed around 20 small bass which really needed to be removed from the pond. The reason I say this is because most of these fish had a huge head with a slim body. The Game and Fish told us that this pond is overstocked with small bass and it is best to remove them when you land one. This will increase the chances of landing larger bass in the future. We relocated the 20 in a small creek below the dam. We did discover that this place has crappie in it. Neither of use had ever caught crappie here, and in fact no one has ever caught crappie here. So this was a surprise. I do know this where there is one crappie there are more. I am hoping to make a trip below Smith Dam tomorrow to try out my new fly rod. I hope to get a bend with some of the rainbow that was stocked a couple of days ago. I’ll keep you guys posted.  
Probably 100 more in there just like this one
Tanks with the prize???

6 comments:

  1. I tend to put a lot of stock in what game and fish recommends as far as overstocked ponds. Eventually it leads to a healthier environment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty cool to find the crappie! I miss those things, not bad in the pan either.

    Good luck with the new rod! Looking forward to seeing a picture of that bow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kinda cool to play god on your own private fishing lake. Hope you can thin the heard for some larger fish down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howard
    This pond is need to some management, and the owner a Doctor doesn't have a clue as to what to do to make the fishing better. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sanders
    I don't know if this one and the others would be good to eat. The pond is loaded with coal chips. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blake
    The pond needs to have 60 to 70 lbs of mostly bass removed each year. That is not being done because only three or four individuals fish it. Thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete