Tuesday, June 28, 2011

First Trout Outing For This Year---Finally!!!!

Here it is the last of June and I am just now making my first trout fishing tirp of the year. No this is not a Caney Fork trip. I hope to make that trip in August. Today's outing was on the Sipsey River below Smith Lake Dam. The owner of the Riverside Fly Shop told me the other day that the Mayflies were hatching and the rainbow had been gulping them down. So I canceled my trip to the Warrior River and instead spent a couple of hours on the water this morning with my 4wt, and a size 14 Parachute Adams dry. I notice as I move into an opening at the lower end of a run on the river their was some rising and that was where I headed. Within 5 minutes I had my first rainbow. The morning was good in that all the takes were on top which is what I like to see. I ended the morning with 6 rainbows in the range of 9 to 12 inches. I was really surprised with the takes especially on top because there had been a lot of fishing pressure in that area lately. The trip I was originally going to make instead of this trip was as I stated earlier the Warrior River, so now the Warrior trip will come Thursday of  this week. Keep an eye out for the Warrior trip, because I have high hopes of landing some quality spots and largemouth on the big poppers I will be using. Thanks for stopping by today. 
The first of the morning



Nice catch on the 4 wt.
This one finally ended up in the shallows
Now who is this guy??
Perfect way to start the morning with the fog mist

4 comments:

  1. Looking good! Glad you were able to get out and put some flies in front of some trout...well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. tailrace trout, about as good as it gets right there

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to get after them, Bill. Dry fly fishing is special when you hit the hatch right. Good luck on your upcoming trip. Awaiting ..........!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sanders
    Glad they were hitting on top,
    makes for a great trip.
    @Blake
    We are lucky to have a tailrace here in Alabama for trout, granted it is not out West but it is trout.
    @Mel
    The Mayflies were out and the closet thing I could match was the
    the Parchute Adams, and it work well. The trip today was a wash.

    ReplyDelete